The future of SAE International, and the industry sectors we serve, is heavily dependent on our ability to develop the next generation of engineers and leaders. Faculty Advisors and Collegiate Design Series (CDS) Team Advisors who are actively engaged with their students are critical to our continued success. Dedicated Faculty Advisors encourage students to join SAE International and participate in Collegiate Chapters and the Collegiate Design Series, which helps them develop key skills that are transferrable to their career. But the most effective Faculty Advisors help their students understand the lifetime value of belonging to SAE International. They educate young engineers about the benefits available to members, encourage them to transfer to professional membership when they graduate, explore the wealth of opportunities for life-long learning available through SAE (including conferences, technical standards and papers, professional development), and most importantly, encourage them to be involved in the many volunteer opportunities and build their professional network throughout their career. The SAE Faculty Advisor Award was established in 1990 and funded by the Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award Fund to recognize Faculty Advisors who embody this professionalism and dedication to SAE. This award is presented each April for the prior calendar year. Recipients are usually recognized at the World Congress in Detroit, but may choose to be recognized at the Commercial Vehicle Congress or Aerotech. In addition to recognition and a plaque, the award provides funding for each recipient travel to any SAE technical conference in that calendar year (up to $1,600).
Eligibility RequirementAdvisors must meet the following criteria.
- Be a paid SAE member in good standing.
- Be an SAE Faculty Advisor or CDS Team Advisor for a minimum of 3 years.
- Their university must have an average of 25 paid student members for the last 3 years at the level of Collegiate Branch.
- Has not been a recipient of this award in the previous 3 years
To Nominate Your Advisor
- Review the eligibility requirements.
- Describe how your Faculty Advisor or CDS Team Advisor has helped you to promote A) SAE membership, B) lead your Collegiate Chapter, C) work on team projects, and D) understand the value of SAE to your chosen industry and your career. The text boxes will expand as needed.
- Return your completed form to email@example.com by October 15.